Sunday, February 1, 2009

China, Families, and the Like

My Dad leaves for China tomorrow. I'm going to miss him a ton. Good thing it's a short trip. He is the most incredible person that I know. One night, I was presented with that question, "Who is the best person you know?" I stand resolute in stating it to be my father. He impresses me more then anyone I've ever met. In primary we're learning a new song called The Family is of God. I love this song so much. The second verse says:
A father's place is to preside, provide, To love and teach the gospel to his children, A father leads in family prayer, to share Their love for Father in Heaven.
I am so grateful to my father. Often times, during the tempests of life when I don't know where to turn, he is the one that lets me know everything will be okay. I know he doesn't realize what a difference he makes everyday, especially on those days I let myself get over discouraged or deeply worried. Just thinking about my Dad is enough to put me back on track, to remind me that the gospel is what matters and that who you are is much more important then what you are. I'm prone to letting myself feel overwhelmed and afraid, especially right now when it feels like life's coming on fast. The daily miracle for me is that during those times of fear, I can turn my mind to my parents and the family they've raised. If I can manage to accomplish what they have in the home, then I know everything will be okay. Sometimes, I feel envious of the people I meet whose parents are wealthy, incredibly "successful", or down right gorgeous. It's in their blood to be "great." But then, I remember what's in my blood. My parents have the real stuff figured out, and maybe someday I can have my own family like theirs. It's not your pay, you title, you looks that make you remarkable. It's your devotion to the Lord, to your family, to doing the very best you can to be who you are in the Lord's eyes; and this where my parents are remarkable. This is where I hope to emulate them to the tee. Happy travels Dad! See you when you get home! (Also, good night friends! And go to bed...and try not to keep me up so late :) Happy Weekend!)

No comments: